critique my riding/jumping

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » English Riding » critique my riding/jumping Join the Club

critique my riding/jumping Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/27/2007 7:46:27 PM

(i know im doing a lot wrong there...legs slipped to far bakc, im overjumping and my release was B.A.D)

(jumping with no reins)

Post #174103
Posted 8/6/2007 10:13:09 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/4/2009 3:26:51 PM
It looks like you're jumping in a dressage saddle.. are you? That cannot be comfortable. And you're also going to mess up your saddle if it is. As you mentioned your legs are far back and your over jumping. I'm gonna use a little advice that I received the other day. Let the horse do the jumping. You just stay on him and lean slightly forward. Your release needs to come up a lot further. You need to get those heels way down! And good job with the daring expedenture of jumping with no reins! haah! You need some work.

PM for a free siggy!

Post #174125
Posted 8/6/2007 10:39:41 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 2/19/2014 2:33:22 AM
Well where to begin..

On the flat:

your horse is in a "U" shape instead of rounded his back is haloow insteaded of under hiself and working properly. His head up up and parallel with the ground insted of perp. with it. well not compleatly correct but his face is above the bit instead of on the verticle. He is not moving foward  as can be seen clearly as he is not tracking into his fore hoof prints but undertracking a lot.

Your hands are to close to your body. Trust me there is noting interesting  at this moment for your hand to be doing there. put them more foward. your wrists are 'borken' and not straight with thumbs up. thereby loosing much of your flexability you need in them. your sholders are rounded instead of square across. Unless that is your natural conformation tuck your buttocks under you and sit on seat bones and not seat buns. Pull your hair back into a pony tail just to keep it out of face. safer that way.

Now for the jumping:

Pic 1) shorten your irons about 2 holes they are currently set for your dressage work. which is how/ why your legs slipped back.

you have no release at all. shorten your reins Do not  even lean foward  allow the horse to close hte angle once he has taken off however do be in a 2 pt.  place your hands about half way up the crest of his neck press your hands onto crest for balance and support. Do not over flatten your back that is called a 'roached back' flatten yes but a relaxed flat back. relax your head a tad also you are really stiff. You probably hit your horses mouth and back before he landed. both are cardnal sins in horse jumping. mouth worse than back but both not good.

while your horse just cantered over the jump he may show more talent over higher fences. and once you release his face. right now nothing very impressive to look at.

2) rounded back just as bad as roached back. but at least your not hitting him in mouth whch shows in his efort in the jumping effort he is putting out. still not enough effort for him so probaly will look better when some height and width is added.

your helmet is to big? it looks like it has slipped down or you are looking down. but seems that you have  pointed your head up more to see out from under your helmet. Get a helmet that fits or readjust the one you have so it dosent any more. a to big of helmet is almost as worthless as a to small one neither are able to do he job they are designed ot do properly.

wear gloves when in show ring if that is where you plan to end up. will hide many flaws of which you have the worse of. more work on his collection and extensions getting him to work properly under himself not hallow. I would not jump until I had those things down.  Unless you you plan on eventing get a close contact saddle for jumping not an all pourpose saddle.

If ponies were human.. most would be in prison.

Mrs. Smith COTH

Post #174129
Posted 8/6/2007 4:46:53 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 7/18/2008 3:42:05 PM
Ok first off... try to get your horses head down on the flat... with it being up it can make you horses stride choppy with lowering it it will smooth out. 

on the fences...  is that a dressage saddle?  Jumping in dressage saddles can cause problems... leg falling back and that trends to make you jump forword.  I would work on your two point a little more...  it dosnt seem like you have the two point down all that great so practise on that.  I totaly understand theses prblems!  I am trying to fix them too!  I hope i help some!!  And that i dont seem snoty!

a.k.a Ian

I spend more time with my horse then with my boyfriend....

Beguin IconGot Grass IconButterfly cat IconCute Rabbit IconLife Style Icon

Post #174161
Posted 8/6/2007 6:16:18 PM

Last Login: 8/4/2009 7:17:04 AM
Ok, well, you are over-jumping in on of your photos and had a bad release. And you really need to get those heels down on the pictures. Well, you seem to be jumping pretty well on the picture with no reins. Good job on that!

Is that a dressage saddle tat you are using? And are you wearing shorts?????? That is a really bad idea. I ride in jeans or in my breeches. Here is a tip that I got from "101 Hunter/Jumper Tips". Make a video of yourself riding and watch it later to see what you need to work on. I hope that is helped helped you out[]!

LIFE WITHOUT HORSES... I DON'T THINK SO![]

Post #174171
Posted 8/6/2007 7:37:14 PM

Last Login: 2/1/2011 11:48:51 PM
Ok... where to start....

Pictures 1, 2, and 3.
HEELS DOWN. I cannot stress that enough. In picture 1 your back is roached. In picture 2 your back is hollow. In picture 3 your back is straight as a board. You have absolutely no slight forward lean to your upper position (I'm not talkig about huge, just a tad). You are looking ahead, but I would really like to see that hair pulled back into a ponytail, braid, or bun (you don't want hair in your face while you are riding!). You have shifted into a chair position and are resting quite heavily on the cantle of your saddle. It also does not seem to fit you well- you should have 1 hand width between your butt and the end of the cantle. Your elbows should be brought more to your sides, and you need to create a straight line from your elbow to the bit- it is being broken by your low arm position and broken wrists. Your hands are extremely close together and are at an awkward angle. Yout horse is responding by giving a sour look (see: ear position, tight lips, etc.). He/she is bracing against the bit, hollowing his back, and not reaching under himself at the trot (not tracking up).

Pictures 4 and 5:
In picture 4 your hand is constrictive in that I have no idea what release you are trying to create. Your hands are way too close to the withers, you are jumping ahead (your crotch is literally above the withers, while your butt is above the pommel of your saddle). Your lef has slipped back to the extreme, you are balancing on the balls of your toes, and you are flinging your upper body as if to jump for your horse. Your back is hollow, and your head is flung upward. You are literally looking at the sky. Your horse is attempting to jump, but has taken off too close to the fence and has uneven knees.
In picture 5 your horse is using itself better over the fence (not being restricted by the reins). He has a better takeoff spot, and seems more eager to jump. You have been left behind, but your lower body has improved slightly. You heel is a tad down (but should be far more) but your back is still hollow, you are gripping with your knees, and you are looking at the sky.

On a side note, tires laying with holes exposed can cause a real safety hazard. Your horse could step in one and injure itself easily.

Kristen

I ♥ GIGI

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Post #174188
Posted 8/6/2007 7:37:47 PM

Last Login: 2/1/2011 11:48:51 PM
Whoops, double post.

Kristen

I ♥ GIGI

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Post #174189
Posted 8/6/2007 11:26:43 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

thanks everyone!!

no my saddle is not a dressage saddle, its an all purporse and i am currenty paying off my new jumping saddle

no im not riding in shorts, and wearing my jodpurs...no way would i wear shorts riding! that would hurt...a lot

and the tires on the ground have already been moved

and i'll remember to shorten my stirupps too...

thanks  

Post #174206
Posted 8/6/2007 11:30:05 PM

oh yeah and my helmet was proffesinaly fitted so i doubt that its to big...its more likely that my head was in the wrong position on that 1

oh yeah, one more thing...im going riding in about 10minutes and my hairs in a braid  

anything else anyone noticed???

thanks

Post #174208
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:00am