Is it WORTH IT?

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » General Discussion » Is it WORTH IT? Join the Club

««12345»»»

Is it WORTH IT? Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/14/2009 4:54:27 PM
I really don't know what to say...

The past few years in eventing have been AWFUL and full of so many injuries, and I'm not really sure its the course designers faults. When you look at some of the older cross country courses, these look like a piece of cake, and there weren't half as many injuries and fatalities.

I'll definitely be keeping Laine in my thoughts.

"The moment you begin sharing your life with a horse you embark on a journey of self-discovery."
--Rallie McAllister, M.D., Riding for Life

Want a banner? View the 'Interests' section on my page for details.

Post #219882
Posted 4/29/2008 2:10:36 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 8/4/2008 11:55:43 AM
I was there I saw Laine Ashker fall and yes I cried immediately but you have to realize the riders know what they are getting into. I know the sport has been getting worse but they took a lot of the really dangerous jumps out like the 6'7" drop is gone and David O'Connor is pleading the riders to slow down and make sure they are being as careful as possible. I can honestly saw that I hate when people post the video's of the horrible falls like Laine's I personally think its disrespectful because I bet there will be people who put it in a "horse falls" video and not know that the horse died or she was immediately air lifted to the UK hospital. I know it's horrible what happened but it's not like they did it on purpose those horses are treated so good and with so much care its amazing so I think that as long as people keep loving the sport its going to keep going. At least they are trying to make improvements though.
Post #219883
Posted 4/29/2008 2:42:48 PM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 1/3/2009 6:55:15 PM
Wow. I seriously looked at those pictures and starting like madly shuttering. Those poor horses. I am not sure of my opinions. It can happen anywhere right? Or does the Rolex not take certain saftey precaustions they should? I don't know the whole story.

Post #219892
Posted 4/29/2008 3:07:10 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 8/4/2011 9:05:48 AM
Dukegirl4life (4/29/2008)
I was there I saw Laine Ashker fall and yes I cried immediately but you have to realize the riders know what they are getting into. I know the sport has been getting worse but they took a lot of the really dangerous jumps out like the 6'7" drop is gone and David O'Connor is pleading the riders to slow down and make sure they are being as careful as possible. I can honestly saw that I hate when people post the video's of the horrible falls like Laine's I personally think its disrespectful because I bet there will be people who put it in a "horse falls" video and not know that the horse died or she was immediately air lifted to the UK hospital. I know it's horrible what happened but it's not like they did it on purpose those horses are treated so good and with so much care its amazing so I think that as long as people keep loving the sport its going to keep going. At least they are trying to make improvements though.

I've heard from people who were at the fence that it mostly had to do with 'pilot error.'  According to them, Laine did not attempt or just did not slow down on approach to set the horse up.

Also, I hear it is the exact opposite with Sarah Hansel and Quiet Man - according to viewers, the horse was crawling around the course with no momentum.  He was scrambling over each fence leading the fall, apparently.

"It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so." - Ernestine Rose

"There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven." - Robert Green Ingersoll

Post #219897
Posted 4/29/2008 3:12:18 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/19/2009 2:21:30 PM
its not worth it at all! why would you want to kill your horse!!!

one time i heard that there would be half as many accidents as there are now, if they would use flat jump cups!!! i mean is that so hard, to buy FLAT JUMP CUPS?!?!?!?!

Roanie. My boy. My life.

Post #219899
Posted 4/29/2008 3:18:56 PM

Last Login: 9/14/2009 4:54:27 PM
TBlover13 (4/29/2008)

It's not like they're out there trying to kill their horses. The horses enjoy it just as much if not more than their riders do.

I could say the same thing about racing, and WAY more horses die in the racing industry than in eventing, but again, the people aren't out there to hurt the horses.

"The moment you begin sharing your life with a horse you embark on a journey of self-discovery."
--Rallie McAllister, M.D., Riding for Life

Want a banner? View the 'Interests' section on my page for details.

Post #219904
Posted 4/29/2008 3:24:35 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 8/4/2011 9:05:48 AM
TBlover13 (4/29/2008)

one time i heard that there would be half as many accidents as there are now, if they would use flat jump cups!!! i mean is that so hard, to buy FLAT JUMP CUPS?!?!?!?!

In the defense of eventers, I can positively say that every rider loves their mounts.  What has happened is NEVER intentional, by any stretch of the imagination.

The problem is that perhaps eventing needs a small hiatus until new formats and ideas for safety, such as collapsible jumps on course, can be created and implemented.

"It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so." - Ernestine Rose

"There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven." - Robert Green Ingersoll

Post #219907
Posted 4/29/2008 4:49:37 PM

Average Member

Last Login: 7/6/2012 9:39:54 PM
I've always figured your life=your choice=your problem and if people want to event let them.  But I DO think there could be a lot done to make it safer and it should be done.  Especially at the bigger events, they have the money. 
Post #219931
Posted 4/29/2008 4:58:51 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/19/2013 5:39:13 AM
& People think rodeos are bad..

Thats horrable & I think they need to have safer jumps & easier footing. If that many people & horses are getting hurt & KILLED.. thats not a good thing..

I think there needs to be changes ASAP. & maybe if those people actually CARED about their horses & their selves, they would slow down & not care about first place...

In the mean time i am going to hold back my wanting to event & ride english & stick with Gymkhana, Barrel Racing & Western Pleasure.

Post #219938
Posted 4/29/2008 5:00:03 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 7/17/2008 4:22:35 PM
i am not very familier with eventing but i do know that those photos are very very scary. i cant imagine a horse jumping that high and landing head on in a flip! that is crazy. i agree they are not intentionally killing their horses but i do think from all that i have heard about injuries and deaths that its getting kinda rediculouse. Collapsable jumps would be safer i think. and maybe they shouldnt make the jumps so wide, one time i saw a horse in a picture and his belly was just barley grazing the jump it was so high! i think its amazing what they are doing but i do think the jumping commite or whatever should take a break and step back and look at details on how to make the sport a little bit safer!
Post #219940
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««12345»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:56am