My First Horse Having HER First Baby, And This Is a First Foal For Me too!

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Your First Horse » My First Horse Having HER First Baby, And... Join the Club

1234»»»

My First Horse Having HER First Baby, And... Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/12/2012 6:47:15 PM
Looking for any tips and advice on how/what to do for mare and baby for a first timer for both mare and me.

I been trying to read up on things. Any advice or tips will help.

Some info about my horse and me:

My mare a 5 year old Palomino Quarter Horse. She is my first horse I got her when I was 19 years old. I have had her for almost 3 year now. I bred her July 2007 but she aborted the baby for reasons unknown when she was about 4 1/2 months pregnant. So I tried breeding her again in 2008. Thought she was bred in July but she came in heat in August. So we put her with the stallion again and hopefully had a successful breeding. If pregnant, she is about 5 1/2 month along (due around July 17, 2009). And it will be her first baby.

This is also a first for me. I have never raised a foal before. We had horses when I was little but got rid of them when I was 7 years old. My mom don't remember too much about raising foals and taking care of the pregnant mare since it has been over 15 years since we last had horses. Alot might have changed since then too. 

Any advice or tips will help.

"Palomino GOLD FEVER !"

Post #274692
Posted 2/7/2009 3:16:19 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 7/11/2009 1:05:32 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of foal ownership! It can be such an exciting yet stressful time. I've been through raising 4 foals, from birth to 2 years while working at a local stable. The best thing to do is talk to you vet. He/she can access your horse and advice you on the right feeds, imunizations etc that your mare will need during pregnancy. Also, mare generally deliver at night with no problems at all. They rarely need assistance, even when they're a first time mom. Just relax and enjoy the experience, it's very rewarding.
Post #274693
Posted 2/7/2009 3:44:10 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Here are a few pictures of my mare Cheyanne and hopefully mother to be!

"Palomino GOLD FEVER !"

Post #274697
Posted 2/7/2009 5:41:51 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 7/28/2013 4:39:07 PM
I would highly recommend talking to a vet or going and meeting with a professional breeder.

Coming to a site like this for a first time foal owner is a bit unwise. There is a lot you need to learn about and be prepared for, but nothing any of us experienced breeders could tell you online. It is about experiencing it.

I never bred my own horses until I'd been present for other people's horse's births... this isn't something an amateur should be doing on their own.

Please consult a professional.

---------------------------------------------------

Post #274708
Posted 2/7/2009 7:56:53 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 2/25/2010 8:07:37 PM
You have a TON of reading to do!

There is so much that can go wrong (trust me, been there... from abortions to a leg in the wrong place I fixed, to a red bag and dystocia that after 5 hours of me and 3 vets trying to fix had to end in fetotomy and the mare staying at the hospital for a few days and several vet visits afterwords.... mare can never be bred again but thankfully she is ok otherwise) you MUST be there and you MUST know what to do in any situation. Hopefully everything will go right and you will have a wonderful foal to enjoy, but you MUST know what to do if something goes wrong so you can hopefully assist and still have a healthy foal and mare!

I HIGHLY recomend these two books. I re-read them every foaling season. The Complete Foaling Manual http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Foaling-Manual-Theresa-Jones/dp/093584211X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234065289&sr=8-1

And the Complete Book of Foaling http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Foaling-Illustrated-Attendant/dp/0876059515/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234065289&sr=8-2

Also check out www.marestare.com and watch as many births as you can. This will help you learn what is normal and what isn't.

If you haven't already, establish a good relationship with your vet, and have them on speed dial. Have your foaling kit stocked and nearby, you can find out what to include in the books or googling. Has your mare had her pnuemabort shot yet? Should have that at 5, 7 and 9 months (Some do 3 months as well). Talk to your vet about all the care she needs during pregnancy, during foaling, and post foaling. Read, read, read, read, read! And good luck

Watch my mares foal live online!
www.marestare.com/cheyaut.php

CheyAut Ranch
Friesians and Miniatures

www.CheyAutRanch.com

Post #274762
Posted 2/9/2009 7:24:25 PM

Alittle more info about me and my horse I probably should have added earlier:

My horse is borded at the farm where they are expreienced with breeding horses and raising foals. In fact they own the stallion I used to bred my mare.

My mom grown up with horses and raised a few foals. We had horses until I was 7 years old. Which we had at least 3 foals that I can remeber. I remember one of our mares refused her first foal and even tried to kill it. So they had to bottle feed it until it was old enough to eat on his own.

I am not completely in the dark about the whole raising a foal and everything. I was just too young when we had horses that I wasn't really involved much with taking care of them. I have read up a lot on horses and even more on breeding and raising foals before I even bred my horse.

Its been over 15 years since we had horses; a lot could have changed since then. I know veterinary medicine probably changed since then; new recommendations like for vaccinations, worming, ect. 

I know veterinary medicine has changed because of me being a small animal veterinary assistant myself and all the changes we have made. With being a veterinary assistant, I am very well aware and some what prepared for what can go wrong with my mare and foal. It also helpful working for a vet who used to be a large animal vet.

I am just looking for any advice about anything that may be helpful in my case. I just trying to learn anything and everything I can to give the best care for my mare and future foal. 

Thanks for the advice and info shared! I looking forward to any more advice you all may have   

"Palomino GOLD FEVER !"

Post #275167
Posted 2/13/2009 3:39:49 PM

Last Login: 5/13/2010 2:11:27 PM
I was going through the same thing you where about 10 months ago but my mare had had a foal before.  I know it is exciting and scaring at the same time.  My mare gave birth to a foal and then about 1 month after she gave birth she died suddenly.  I was stuck to figure out things on my own on how to raise the foal.  The things that I have learned through taking gave of my foal and mare is to make sure you touch the foal all over which you probly know that but that is what really helped me to be in touch with my foal( pictured in my siggy).  Make sure your mare has time with her foal to bond with it.  Good Luck and hope everything goes well.

Sam I will never forget you or your mother and may you two RIP
My Horses
Lu : 9 year old QH gelding
Aspen: 7 year old  1/2 arab pinto mare
Oreo: 10 months old paint
Sammy: 1 1/2  gelding RIP
Freckles: 12  QH  mare RIP
Post #276894
Posted 2/13/2009 4:59:42 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2/13/2011 12:53:05 PM
you do not have to have a vet present for the birth but maybe call one so that if something does go wrong they will be ready to come and help. The birth isn't the biggest thing you should be worring about if you are an amature. Many people baby their faols so that when they grow bigger they are pushy obnoxious horses that can be dangurouse and that no one wants. The best thing to do would be to have your trainer help you out with everything. Be affectionate to the foal but do not let them get away with anything. My horse had a faol when I was five and my mom raised him and I trained him on riding once I was older. It was really fun and I have a bond with him that I don't have with any of my other horses. Here is a picture of him from when he was around a year old.

This was me on him last year at his first A show and we got 2nd in the class out of  17 other people. ...Im going to upload it later when I ahve more time

Its better to be hated for who you are then to be loved for who your not.~ Brooks and Dun

Men are like parking spots, the good ones are taken and the free ones are handicapped ~ Unknown

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.~ Unknown

Post #276905
Posted 2/16/2009 5:36:06 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 11/22/2012 2:12:09 PM
congrats![]

Dixie Delight '' Scarlet '' Running 17 sec barrel pattern and runs all wsca games.
Post #277787
Posted 2/20/2009 8:25:10 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/6/2013 7:00:59 AM
If not a vet, have someone there who KNOWS a lot about foaling. I have watched many foals being born, I have seen all sorts of problems, foals die, mares get in trouble, but the majority have all been normal, healthy births.

When my mare had her first baby, all of the foalings I had watched calmly went completely out the window. I was so nervous. I am so glad my mother was there. I kept asking "Is she okay? Is everything alright?" She was my girl. I could see nothing was wrong, but my rational, experienced side was not processing.

Do you know about doctoring the navel, restraining the foal, administering an Enema, and all the other little necessary things you do with the babies?

If not for Saddlebreds, I would not have horses.

Help Saddlebred Rescue Inc. win $10,000!
http://www.care2.com/animalsheltercontest/76532/?refer=2395.a7.1230109620.3513

. .

Post #278546
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

1234»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:31am