Tail swishing

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Equine Behavior » Tail swishing Join the Club

Tail swishing Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/4/2009 4:42:46 PM
My mare is really bad to swish her tail.  She generally does this when I do things that she don't like. Which is basically everything.  If you want to pick up her feet.  She starts swishing that tail.  If I start to get on her back she swishes.  She is so  irritable. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior or is this just a mare thing?

Let's ride

Post #280953
Posted 3/5/2009 10:31:47 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 8/4/2011 9:05:48 AM
This can be a multitude of problems.

1.  Ulcers

2.  Physical pain

3.  Grumpiness/basic behavior

The first two are usually the most common reasons for tail swishing.  If she's in pain or sore, you need to find out why and fix it.  If it's just because she's a cranky-*** mare, you can either put up with it or try her on hormone supplements.  Regumate is what many people have the best success with.

"It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so." - Ernestine Rose

"There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven." - Robert Green Ingersoll

Post #280955
Posted 7/9/2009 9:37:30 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/18/2011 9:03:54 AM
or maybe thats her way of saying im in pain or the bugs are bothering her right when you are with her ask your vet for some fly and bug horse reellant or at your local feed store but the ones the vet have are most recommended and work way better

me and breeze forever!!
Post #300581
Posted 7/20/2009 6:26:26 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 8/22/2010 7:33:41 PM
A horse at my old barn used to do that. If I'd go to get on her, or ask her to move out with my leg pressure, she'd wring and swish her tail. I'd throw the saddle on, tail'd wring, I'd mount, ears'd go back and tail'd wring, I'd ask for a lope (not right off the bat, mind you) and her ears'd go back, tail'd wring and she'd even crowhop. So, I'm going to just suggest you learn to ignore it. If your horse uses it as a pre-sign to some horrible blow-up or bucking issue, then get after her for it, but otheriwise, just blow it off.

It's a typical mare thing to do. I wouldn't take it as far as health issues unless she's swishing her tail when you touch her in certain places, etc.

Hope I helped some.

I.Love.You...Dacotah n' Sassy. Forever.

Post #301790
Posted 7/22/2009 8:53:57 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/23/2011 7:29:57 AM
^^^Agreed.
Merrill went through a phase of that. When he figured out that he wasn't getting anything by doing it, he stopped.[]

Photobucket
Post #301953
Posted 7/24/2009 9:51:00 AM

Average Member

Last Login: 2/13/2011 12:53:05 PM
I would still have her checked out. Is she up to date on wormers. She could have some parasites or worms. and if you have been worming, have you been rotating not just brands, but active ingredients? She could be having back pains too, so I would have a chiro or vet out to check.

Its better to be hated for who you are then to be loved for who your not.~ Brooks and Dun

Men are like parking spots, the good ones are taken and the free ones are handicapped ~ Unknown

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.~ Unknown

Post #302116
Posted 8/16/2009 4:19:37 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/13/2010 6:30:30 PM
every horse swishes their tail when they get irritable or angry or sometimes even bored i hate to say it but most of the time when this happens you'll just have to live with it

Post #305044
Posted 8/16/2009 4:20:56 PM

Last Login: 5/13/2010 6:30:30 PM
Mackenburg (3/5/2009)
This can be a multitude of problems.

1.  Ulcers

2.  Physical pain

3.  Grumpiness/basic behavior

The first two are usually the most common reasons for tail swishing.  If she's in pain or sore, you need to find out why and fix it.  If it's just because she's a cranky-*** mare, you can either put up with it or try her on hormone supplements.  Regumate is what many people have the best success with.

i agree with this 100% and i also a gree with what i said on the comment above this one

Post #305045
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:19pm