Horse Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Belgian quarter horse cross?

Posted By Panda 5 Years Ago
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Im wondering about draft cross horses (im looking at a Belgian quarter horse cross) but i wanted to know if a draft thoroughbred cross would be a better choise for a trail horse or a horse for low level dressage or jumping?

basically google failed uber hard so i wanted to know if anyone on here knows anything about it? [BigGrin]

littleredkelpie
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)Advanced Member (29,585 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Depends on the horse. With what you're looking for, a draft cross could probably do any or all of those things. (Although jumping might be difficult.)

Cheap Tricks and Cheesy One Liners

Panda
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)

I'm not very good at jumping anyways so that one isnt really a selling point.

ponylover
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)

I've heard that jumping heavy draft breed horses is hard on there joints. Some Draft owner told me I think, can't remember! For trails I hear they are very great, but not jumping. Good luck finding one!

Here are some pics I found.

Sorry for the pic overload

2384869592_9dd3b03bd8-2.jpg picture by SalBKLife seems but a quick succession of busy nothings. Jane Austen

Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. - Edgar Allen Poe

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. -Oscar Wilde

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Edited 5 Years Ago by ponylover
Panda
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

there is a really really light palomino belgian quarter cross that im looking at. i think he's really gorgouse. Hes 4 and hasnt yet started being riddin but does well with saddle on, which is good. What does everyone think?

Edited 5 Years Ago by Panda
ponylover
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)Senior Member (1,491 reputation)

*Sigh*

All i'm going to say is.....

He's bloody adorable!!!! Buy him and then give him to me!!!! lol!

2384869592_9dd3b03bd8-2.jpg picture by SalBKLife seems but a quick succession of busy nothings. Jane Austen

Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. - Edgar Allen Poe

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. -Oscar Wilde

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Panda
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

What do you think about his conformation (if you can tell) ?

Legendary
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)Average Member (686 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
i personally love that breed, but every horse is differnet, i find most very calm but again that reflexes on their training. Jumping wise, my draft/qh was a slowww horse that i wouldnt exactly recommend for jumpers, hunters he had the nice form but you really had to push him foward but he was a really safe horse. Considering that horse isnt exactly trained, do you have the knowledge to train it? I think he is cute and wouldnt hurt to check him out.

C.B. <3

Panda
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I know some pretty basic training. A friend of mine is a trainer so im not to worried about it.

Woodrows Mommy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)Advanced Member (6,078 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The "palomino' isn't a palomino at all, he's a cream champagne and probably isn't Belgian and QH but more likely is American Cream Draft and QH. I don't think he's well put together though. The photos aren't great for conformation critique, but you can see that he hasn't had good nutrition. His head has the overlarge look of a horse who hasn't had adequate calcium during his growth years, and he's got a body score of about 3ish in the first photo and a body score of about 4 in the second one. His legs aren't straight, either. I'd pass on him as prospect for anything other than a weekend husband-horse type.

Belgian x QH crosses are somewhat hit and miss. They tend to be on the shorter, stockier side. Good for general riding, but if you're going to do sport, you'll find that they don't have the athleticism you're looking for in most cases.

I have a Belgian Draft x TB (a PMU) gelding who will be five in June. We're doing dressage with a goal of making third level, and he'll be making his debut at first level this fall. We'll also be cross training in the low-level hunters in his six year old year.

Here's a few pics of him:

"Quick fixes, by their nature, fix nothing; that's why they're repetitive."

-Dr. Laura

"It's better to ride even if you get thrown, then to wind up just wishing you had."

- Chris LeDoux

Updated 10/17/2011!

http://rideweek.blogspot.com/