Safety vests

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » English Riding » Safety vests Join the Club

Safety vests Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:00:35 AM
This week we have a featured reader question on finding a safety vest for eventing.

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-experts/english-horse-training/best-eventing-vest.aspx

A good safety vest for riding is a pretty big investment. Does anyone have any advice on shopping for one? Anything you know now that you wish you'd known before you bought your vest?

Make your horse famous and earn 1000 Club Horse points! Upload your horse videos at HorseChannel.com/Video.
Post #314525
Posted 2/3/2010 10:55:48 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/5/2010 9:20:53 AM
Buying something ASTM certified is the only advice I can offer in the safety department; but more than that, comfort. It doesn't matter how sturdy and safe a vest is-- if it isn't comfortable, you aren't going to wear it. Think about bending down to tighten your girth or adjust your stirrups from the saddle, mounting and dismounting, not just what you do within the saddle. When I assist students in buying a safety vest, I have them do everything short of cartwheeling-- it has to be comfortable, not pinching or poking in your armpits, stomach or back. This is also why I would recommend driving to a tack store before ordering one offline, even if you have the measurements: especially if it is your first one, you never know how a vest will fit your body...bringing along an experienced horse person (provided one isn't working in the shop) is also a must. If it doesn't fit you right, it won't keep you safe--and that defeats the entire purpose. And remember, there's no replacement for ribs or organs-- if the vest costing 30 dollars more is substantially more comfortable, go with it. This is an investment in your health and future.
Post #314526
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:37pm