Morgans - what is your experience with the temperament of Morgans?

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Horse Breeds » Morgans - what is your experience with the... Join the Club

12»»

Morgans - what is your experience with the... Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/29/2013 9:15:23 AM
Does anyone out there have opinions about the temperament of Morgan horses?  I know you really can't generalize as there are lots of different influences that can affect temperament, but I'm wondering if my Morgan mare is typical of the breed.

My horse is an extremely easy keeper, with great stamina, and energy.  I do find that she is also quite "opinionated".  Her attitude can sometimes be "what's in it for me?"  She needs a strong leader, as she likes to be in charge, whether with other horses or with her humans!  Under saddle she is very responsive and sensitive, but she will sometimes refuse if she has other ideas (such as her grain is waiting for her).  Then it takes energy to get her focussed again.

Anyway, are there any comments out there?

Post #318567
Posted 4/30/2010 12:41:33 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 4/12/2011 10:46:21 AM
My old college roomate has a Morgan gelding and he's a sweetheart. Great build, lots of mane and tail and super sound. They do quite a bit together for both shows, clinics, and general riding and he's really pretty smart. I think his only vices are occasionally he'll forget to have brakes and he had (not sure if still an issue) a tendency to terrorize the other geldings, he has his own field now. He's a great breed ambassador though and makes me consider a Morgan if ever I find myself in the market again.
Post #318569
Posted 5/1/2010 9:01:35 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/14/2014 7:22:47 PM
What you put on there....easy keeper, energy, stamina.....all those are traits of Morgans.   Quite frankly, I've found them to be the most versatile of all the breeds.....you can pretty much do anything with them and they look good.

As far as the "opinionated" part.....they are all individuals, just like any breed.   Mostly I've found them to want to please their people, but there are a few who are strong personalities in themselves.  Like any breed, they need to be dealt with for who they are, not how we stereotype them!

My blog:  www.horselistening.blogspot.com

It didn't take 1 day to create.....it won't take 1 day to fix.

Post #318592
Posted 5/6/2010 8:38:36 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 8:46:06 PM
I have a morgan/arab cross.  He is an easy keeper, lots of energy, and I think he's got lots of stamina.  He's 8 ys/o, but we went back to groundwork and restarting him after he decided he didn't need to listen to me. [] He is also very expressive, and his trot is almost always a little extended.  He tracks up a lot, too. [] And he's very sweet and personable, though he has a problem with invading my space.  We're working on that. []

If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same thing.

Post #318807
Posted 5/10/2010 4:43:08 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 10/26/2010 12:45:23 AM
Morgans are solid horses. Look at their history. Morgan Horses were used as cavalry mounts and artillery horses. They were sensible under fire; could march tirelessly all day; could maintain their condition on unpredictable rations; and were loyal to their riders.

Horse Information & Articles
Post #318915
Posted 5/10/2010 8:13:22 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/29/2013 9:15:23 AM
It's funny that you said you went back to groundwork with your 8 yr. old because I find with my mare that it's something that I need to work on all the time to keep her attention on me and so she doesn't start making the decisions about what she wants to do, instead of what I'd like to do;  my mare also likes to get in my space but I find that just blocking her with an arm or my hand will prevent most of that;  she can also be quite "lippy", not biting, but just soft touches;  she is very sweet but needs consistancy, as most horses do, I suppose.
Post #318921
Posted 5/25/2010 4:30:51 PM

Starting Member

Last Login: 5/27/2010 10:57:19 AM
My horse is almost the same... hmmmm...

Horse Luvers are very "stable" people. [:X][]

Never shall I forget the times I spent with you; continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours. - Ludwig van Beethoven [horse1]
Post #319420
Posted 5/28/2010 12:17:21 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/2/2011 3:31:44 PM
I have a 10 year old morgan gelding that I've had for 7 years and trained. He is the most wonderful guy I can ever imagine. He's got endurance, energy, and is also a very easy keeper. He's not stubborn. I've put 3 year olds on him but if I'm on him, he wants to go! He is so willing and only wants to please and incredibly smart too (opens gaits, turns on lights). He NEVER refuses. Very brave to the fences. He has TONS of personality, so much into such a little guy (14.2). I couldn't love him more.

Eventing = the ultimate test

Post #319523
Posted 5/30/2010 8:57:41 PM

Last Login: 7/14/2011 3:51:06 PM
I have 2 Morgans, Both have a great minds of their own. I have a 15 year old that i have had since he was 4, which still acts like it sometimes, and just recently got my second which is a 5 year old mare, which sounds just like yours. She just needs a strong minded rider. I love other breeds but the morgans have me hooked. Both horses are very sweet and very willing, but every once in a while get a little lost in their own mind thinking of what they can get into next or how they are going to out smart you... LOL. All you have to do is keep her on track and she'll be a great horse for you. In the below Pic, Thats my 15 year old, Earl. Thats us at a jumper show last year. Also their hearts are too big for their bodies.

Post #319590
Posted 6/4/2010 10:02:11 AM

Starting Member

Last Login: 6/4/2010 1:01:28 PM
autumn rain (4/30/2010)
Does anyone out there have opinions about the temperament of Morgan horses?  I know you really can't generalize as there are lots of different influences that can affect temperament, but I'm wondering if my Morgan mare is typical of the breed.

My horse is an extremely easy keeper, with great stamina, and energy.  I do find that she is also quite "opinionated".  Her attitude can sometimes be "what's in it for me?"  She needs a strong leader, as she likes to be in charge, whether with other horses or with her humans!  Under saddle she is very responsive and sensitive, but she will sometimes refuse if she has other ideas (such as her grain is waiting for her).  Then it takes energy to get her focussed again.

Anyway, are there any comments out there?

I also have a morgan mare, and she is sweet and loyal, except when our ideas clash, such as when she wants to go back to the barn for grain when i want to work some more. Rayndancer is also very responsive and willing to learn under the saddle or on the ground and her macho mare attitude melts like butter when she gets her forehead rubbed. When i first got her she was very, very hard to catch in the pasture, but now she comes to me when i walk into the pasture. I believe the morgan horse is a wonderful breed, with their durability, willingness, and all-purpose build. I wouldn't trade my morgan for any other breed, and if i get another horse i would look for another morgan.  

Post #319724
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:52pm