Horse Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Sunscreen for horses?

Posted By Katiehorselover28 4 Years Ago
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My mare i have now has a while blaze that goes down all the way to her nose. I notice that in summer it gets really pink and then its gets gross because it peels. Would it be safe just to put a regular human sunscreen on her nose? Does it matter the SPF?

Thanks!

http://schuetthorsephotography.blogspot.com/

-Carrie

"Live to Ride!"

http://katiehorsepictures.blogspot.com/

horselover12345
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)Senior Member (1,658 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Yep human sunscreen will work just fine. SPF doesn't matter either works the same way on horses that it does on humans. Just remember to reapply often and waterproof tends to work better since they stick their noses in water buckets! [BigGrin]

"Show me your horse. And I will tell you who you are."

MerryLittleMare
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)Advanced Member (7,279 reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 2:59 AM
Yes, human sunscreen can be used on equines. Some equine products like fly spray and conditioners contain spf protection, but are not very strong. Since your horse's blaze is a trouble spot, just apply regular sunscreen around the nose, eyes, ears, etc...Make sure not to get any in the eyes.

As the horse grazes or drinks water, the sunscreen will be rubbed off, thus leaving him unprotected. Thus, applying sunscreen multiple times a day will help to keep this problem at bay. It's almost impossible to know when to apply another batch, so some people use colored sunscreen. Avon makes children sunscreen that works great. Some people like to use colored versons because they are eye-catching. Think about it-Your horse with a hot pink or neon green blaze!

~Banner by E. Rider~

~Proudly owned by a 12 year old TWH/Paint gelding~

Woodrows Mommy
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)Advanced Member (5,438 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
One of my geldings has a big blaze and pink skin on his nose, and my mare is a medicine hat paint. I've also had other horses prone to sunburn in the past, and I can honestly say that human sunscreen isn't the best choice for horses.

I've dealt with skin cancer in two different Appies in my lesson string, and when the vet was working on the first one, he told me that human sunscreen usually isn't mild enough on a horse's skin - the chemicals in human sunscreen can cause skin irritation), and it can be ineffective because it's likely to rub/sweat off. If you're going to use human sunscreen on a small area, like a snip on the horse's nose, then using pure titanium oxide cream is more safe and effective (that's the stuff that lifeguards in movies and TV wear on their noses - a thick white cream).

If you don't want to use the titanium oxide, I highly recommend My Pony Sunblock, which is an all-natural powdered mineral sunscreen just for horses and other animals. I've been using it for a few years now - a little goes a long way, and so long as you can see the powder on your horse, it's working. Because it's only got minerals, and not any petroleum or other oild-based chemicals, it is very gentle on skin, and the powder coats the hair and bonds to the skin creating a barrier against sun and even wind-burn/chapping.

I also use Suncoat Spray by Health Hair Care. It's a spray on sunscreen for horses, and it can prevent coat fading in bays, blacks, and chestnuts as well as protecting light-colored/skinned horses.

"Quick fixes, by their nature, fix nothing; that's why they're repetitive."

-Dr. Laura

"It's better to ride even if you get thrown, then to wind up just wishing you had."

- Chris LeDoux

Updated 10/17/2011!

http://rideweek.blogspot.com/

TheRoughrider21
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)Advanced Member (20,279 reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
I use sunscreen for humans..I think its from Banana Boat its for sensitive skin and is unscented so it doesnt bother him as much. But I always have Aloe for horses on hand...you can buy it at Fleet Farm in case of sunburn.

“Lord, if we should stumble, my horse and I, pick my horse up first for he has carried me through both heaven and hell.”

HunterGreen6
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)Junior Member (419 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
At my barn we use Johnsons baby sunscreen SPF 30

a_horses_dream
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)Average Member (697 reputation)

I agree that you should use sunscreen for horses. It is safer and some all natural. it doesn't sweat off as easily and won't be harmful to their skin. If you do decide to use human sunscreen do not put it near her eyes. When/if she sweats it can run and get into her eyes causing a lot of irritation and burning. Just think of how it feels if you get it in your eyes... Also if you use a human sunscreen be sure that you use one for children or for sensitive skin. It will be less irritating for her. Good Luck!

TBwonder
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)Advanced Member (2,369 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I'm not sure about suncreen for humans but we put diaper rash ointment on the noses of any of our guys that have white markings and it works.

3horses3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)Junior Member (290 reputation)

Yes, human sunscreen works on horses. Although, because of horses with white hair have pink skin underneath, that pink skin is very sensitive. ONLY use baby sunscreen lotion. Don't ever use adult stuff (more chemicals) and don't ever use sprays.

I have a cremello mare with pink skin all over. her muzzle and skin around her eyes burns horribly, so I keep a full-face fly mask with UV protection on her at ALL times 24/7! I also slather SPF 50 baby sunscreen lotion on her muzzle and a little around her eyes underneath the fly mask.

I just buy the cheap stuff from Walmart [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelandLucy

Come check out my videos Smile