Pelleted feed vs. textured feed

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Health and Grooming » Pelleted feed vs. textured feed Join the Club

12»»

Pelleted feed vs. textured feed Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/5/2013 8:14:36 AM
Our hard keeper has been on sweet feed for as long as I remember. His worming is up to date but he just can't put weight on. I'm thinking about switching to pelleted feed (specifically Nutrena Smartchoice). Opinions?

AOT

Post #326639
Posted 9/14/2010 7:23:28 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 8:36:40 AM
I dont' know exactly, but I know she/he should get all the hay he can eat, and I'd try a complete feed, like a senior feed.  I prefer Purina, but I use Nutrena because of availabiltiy. [] I'm sure others will chime in with better answers. []

If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same thing.

Post #326640
Posted 9/15/2010 9:42:09 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 8:28:04 AM
All of our horses are fed Nutrena sweet feed, and they seem to keep the weight on them fairly well. When we have a problem with a horse gaining weight, we first make sure that their teeth are properly floated and they are no underlying health issues. If they do not improve, I increase the amount of forage they get. This usually helps. If the horse still needs extra help (like our rescue horse did when we brought her home), we give them a supplement designed to help weight gain, such as Weight Builder.

It is really up to you on what you do. Make sure your horse's teeth are in good shape and then just do what is best for your horse. Just make sure that you switch food gradually if you do so, and make sure your horse is getting plenty of forage (hay and grazing) and water, as well as free-choice salt.

I found this humerus.

Post #326651
Posted 9/15/2010 9:59:40 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 3/11/2014 4:12:40 PM
With feed it's always best to really just give it a shot because you really don't know until you try. Just remember to slowly introduce into their diet. Really with feed you never know because every horse is different and the way their bodies react to it is different. So it's always best to just slowly introduce into their diet and see how it works!

"Show me your horse. And I will tell you who you are."

Post #326652
Posted 9/15/2010 12:24:19 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 8/28/2011 6:42:12 AM
Check my post on horse abuse in general discussion. This horse was fed Nutrena Smartchoice and alfalfa cubes.

"In my world everyone is a pony that eats rainbows and poops butterflies."
Post #326656
Posted 9/18/2010 1:07:47 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 6:57:37 AM
Almost all the horses at our barn are on SafeChoice. I can't remember who its by though. They all keep a very good weight and its safe to feed to foals and older horses so its easy for us.

“Lord, if we should stumble, my horse and I, pick my horse up first for he has carried me through both heaven and hell.”

Post #326762
Posted 9/19/2010 2:32:26 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 8:36:40 AM
Safechoice is Nutrena brand.  [] I use it for mine that don't get senior feed.

If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same thing.

Post #326831
Posted 9/19/2010 5:35:57 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 6/5/2013 8:14:36 AM
SafeChoice... I don't know why I always want to call it SmartChoice. After doing a bunch of research and visiting our feed store, I ended up finding some local pelleted feed we're going to try next time we need to buy. It doesn't have quite as much fat content but I would rather buy from a local mill and the place we buy from doesn't have Safechoice. Hopefully it works well for us!

AOT

Post #326857
Posted 9/20/2010 4:44:30 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 11/17/2010 5:34:21 PM
I would recommend soaked beet pulp and oil.  As long as the pulp is free of molasses, you can feed quite a bit of it safely as its fiber, like hay, and just a 1/4 cup of oil will add lots of calories.  Hope this helps.
Post #326917
Posted 9/20/2010 8:44:57 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 9/19/2013 5:39:13 AM
I have better luck with pelleted feed when trying to get horses to gain weight.

There are so many things you can do, but your best bet is to find a feed you like, and maek sure you feed free choice quality hay.

Post #326932
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:02am