Herdbound Horses

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Equine Behavior » Herdbound Horses Join the Club

Herdbound Horses Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/2/2011 11:44:45 AM
I got a new gelding. I have a mare. They follow each other every where but are always kicking at each other. When i seperate them they go crazy. Im thinking they're herdbound. What can i do to prevent either one from getting hurt.

Post #342632
Posted 4/16/2011 8:22:53 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 7:08:05 PM
I would start gradually separating them for longer and longer lengths of time.  Try not to let them in with each other if they are still making a huge fuss.  Maybe you could start by feeding them separately.

If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same thing.

Post #342686
Posted 4/18/2011 2:03:15 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 7/23/2013 12:04:57 PM
my horses are the same way! i would just take one for a ride in a trailer (for about 5 minutes)then bring it back and work up to long periods of time []

A disrespectful horse walks in front of me, a lazy horse walks behind me, my horses walk with me.

Post #342799
Posted 5/9/2011 6:34:02 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 1/20/2013 2:31:27 PM
Ya, those ideas work! I am training a little mare that was like that, but it was more of that she didn't want to be left alone. It was crazy! At the beginning, when I first met her, if you were in the arena with her, then went outside the door and just leaned against the fence, she would go nuts! I was visible to her, but she felt like she was alone. But eventually it got better. Just spending lots of time with them will help you create a bond and then shouldn't do that as much. Just remember that consistency is the key![]

Hope I helped and good luck![]

Credit goes to the Dooley for my avatar
 I'd rather own a horse that I enjoyed,
than 20 horses that couldn't do anything but earn me ribbons
~ MerryLittleMare ~ 

Horses able us to:
Fly without wings, Dance without music, Speak without words

Post #344177
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:15pm