i cant tell if my horse is pregnant

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Your First Horse » i cant tell if my horse is pregnant Join the Club

12»»

i cant tell if my horse is pregnant Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/19/2011 12:02:14 AM
Dear fellow members,
my horse was bred to a stud last July and the breeders there said they were sure she got pregnant. Now its almost her due date but i cant tell if shes really pregnant. i am a fairly new horse owner and the vets here are not experinced with pregnant horses so i need your help. She looks a little rounder than before but i've seen pictures of some pregnant mares and they look huge! her teats seem to be getting bigger but im not sure whats normal or not so could you give me any advice on what i need to look out for and if this is normal. thanks!
Post #343600
Posted 4/29/2011 8:49:20 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 3/30/2014 12:56:26 PM
this post scares me
a.if you did not know that mare was pregnant, it means you have not tested for certain illness, done an ultrasound (twins) or vaccinated for a pregnant animal.
b. you didnt know your horse was pregnant and now its the due date (maybe)? really?
c. you have a vet that doesnt know what a pregnant horse looks like and they didnt suggest any tests, did your vet go to vet school or has he read a years worth of practical horseman and called it good?
d. you bred your horse at a breeders that did not know how to test for a pregnant mare, a professional breeder will not say they are sure unless they are actually sure.
e. your a beginner and you bred your horse.

I pray for the safety of you, your horse, and potential foal, PLEASE find a competent vet and figure this out in the real world, the internet will not help you now. I really hope you dont say you cant afford a vet to come out and check because if that is the case good luck when you get an other mouth to feed, shoe, and worm.

Post #343605
Posted 4/29/2011 10:43:06 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 8/16/2013 11:31:29 PM
Ditto to Gracie.

You need to find a competent vet, NOW, and get her an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy, and if she is pregnant - the correct vaccinations. Breeding is tricky and risky even if you've done everything you're supposed to do. Even if mare and foal don't have any complications, foals are not for beginners. Foals require specialized care and handling, and mares need special care and feeding while pregnant, and especially when nursing a growing foal. If she is pregnant, you'll need to do a whole lot of research to educate yourself on foal care, weaning, and feeding, as well as find competent help to teach you how to handle your foal safely and train him/her appropriate to his/her age.

"Quick fixes, by their nature, fix nothing; that's why they're repetitive."
-Dr. Laura

"It's better to ride even if you get thrown, then to wind up just wishing you had."
- Chris LeDoux

Updated 10/17/2011!
http://rideweek.blogspot.com/

Post #343606
Posted 4/29/2011 11:35:27 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

i agree with all your concers and thank you so much. i knew she was pregnant but could not completely confirm it and so i have done my research and done most of the things needed to prepare for a foal. the problem with the vet is that i dont live in the United States and so there are no vets where i live that are experts with horses but they have enough knowledge to help if there are any complications. i know this is a bad situation but that is exactly why i need your help. i would be so happy if you could kindly give me any advice and tell me what i really need to look out for.
Post #343610
Posted 5/1/2011 1:45:07 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/15/2013 2:43:11 PM
OK so im not going to tell you off~!

When she is close to the birth her teats will become waxy, and droplets of milk may show, she will also appear exhausted. Most mares foal at night, because of natural instincts so if you think she's about to foal set your alarm clock to wake up every 2 hrs or so!

hope it helped also here are articles on foaling!

http://lotawoodranch.tripod.com/id14.html
http://foxtrotters.tripod.com/foaling.htm

Post #343686
Posted 5/4/2011 9:56:12 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/14/2012 5:04:00 PM
Since you are pretty new to horse ownership let me recommend something. Go out and buy (or order online) at least one equine veterinary book. I can personally recommend the Horse Owners Veterinary Handbook and the Complete Equine Veterinary Manual. They both provide info on various diseases, injuries, conditions, and also have a section on reproduction/pregnancy and foaling. Pictures are provided to help you understand what to look for or identify something you are unsure of. While not by any means a replacement for a vet, it's a handy thing to have around. Since we're on the subject of informative books, you may also want to purchase a book about bandaging. (ex. The USPC Guide to Bandaging Your Horse) Horses are great at getting themselves in sticky situations and requiring bandaging. If you're not familiar with proper bandaging techniques, this will help A LOT. It's even good to have on hand if you are comfortable with wrapping legs as sometimes in an emergency situation it's hard to think clearly and this can serve as a great reference to double check yourself.

As far as your current situation, obviously a pregnant mare is not the best purchase for a new horse owner because of the complications and extra responsibilities involved. BUT, what's done is done, so let's focus on the situation at hand. You're mare might be pregnant...Congrats! Babies are a lot of work, but also really fun! Though you might not have a great vet available, any vet should be able to help you determine whether or not she's really pregnant. Typically mares are checked several times throughout the pregnancy. You might want to contact the closest equine vet, even if they are too far away to come out. Tell them what kind of diet your mare is on so they can tell you if she's getting the proper nutrition for her and the baby. (It will vary depending on where you live...quality of grass, type of hay and feed are important factors.) Discuss the situation with them over the phone and ask what they recommend you do next. While you might not be able to get an equine vet to come out, any vet should be able to get you whatever vaccines and such that you might need.

Strangers on the internet can help a little, but you never really know if you're getting the info from someone with experience who knows what they're talking about or some 13 year old who doesn't know jack. Any vet should be able to give you pretty good advice, even if they don't specialize in horses.

I wish you the best of luck with your mare! If it turns out that she is pregnant, I hope you are blessed with a beautiful, healthy foal!

I'd sooner have that horse happy than go to heaven." -- Velvet Brown in NATIONAL VELVET.

Post #343881
Posted 5/4/2011 7:11:42 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 6:19:04 PM
Last year we bought a 4 year old rodoe mare for $450 (she was beat up...and skinny..and getting fed dog food...ya i know right)  Well they did not tell us she was PRENGANT also...we aksed them about..when started looking kinda rounder....and they said there is no way she is pregnat...well when she was at the Vet he went in her and said there was foal.. (the foal is Lolly the one is my banner) But anyway...her udder should be swelling up big. you will know if there is milk in there.

Post #343905
Posted 5/4/2011 8:50:06 PM

Starting Member

Thank You guys! thanks horseshorseshorses09, those links were VERY helpful. yes i do already have a some horse care books books like, "Complete Horse Care Manual", "Encyclopedia of The Horse", and a vet book called "Equine Medicine and Surgery" []. But yes ill see if i can find any more good books. i will try and call an equine vet here, thats a great idea! Thanks alot everyone

Post #343906
Posted 5/6/2011 11:09:30 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 5/10/2011 4:15:29 AM
Some mares don't get a big belly (even if they are pregnant.) We had a mare who didn't start showing till a month before she foaled! Can you tell if her belly is bouncing around? I have a mare that is pregnant right now and every day I can see her belly bounce from the baby kicking.
Post #343981
Posted 5/7/2011 7:39:06 AM

Starting Member

No, i haven't noticed much bouncing/movement in her belly yet but im not sure. Her belly does seem to be getting quite a bit bigger by the day! but her teats arent filling out yet [V]... im just not sure...
Post #344009
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:26pm