Injectable Glucosamine

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Health and Grooming » Injectable Glucosamine Join the Club

Injectable Glucosamine Expand / Collapse
Author

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:35:59 PM
I am interested in using this for my horse. It looks like it would come to about $15/month and I wouldn't have to worry about him eating it (he's sometimes picky, throws grain on the ground, etc.) Seems like this would be a nice alternative while still getting him joint support, but not having to give him a stronger injection such as Adequan right now. What do you all think? Has anyone ever tried it?

http://www.equinedoc.com/joint-products/glucosamine-3/

------------------------

--------------------------

R.I.P. Purcocious
March 27, 1982 ~January 8, 2010

Post #344550
Posted 5/18/2011 9:49:52 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 7/15/2011 3:33:26 PM
After looking at the website, I would not use this product on any of my horses. Missing from the site are who manufactures the product. Injecting anything into an animal should be a concern. I would worry about potential infections or reactions.

Mark Sellers
http://equimed.com

Mark Sellers
http://equimed.com
Post #344620
Posted 5/19/2011 4:21:17 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:35:59 PM
Was mostly just giving an example of what I was looking at.

http://www.horsemedsonline.com/glucosamine-200-injection-100ml-p-113.html

Another website. Is IV instead of IM, but I know how to give both so that doesn't really bother me.

------------------------

--------------------------

R.I.P. Purcocious
March 27, 1982 ~January 8, 2010

Post #344642
Posted 8/31/2011 10:21:36 AM
Advanced Member

Last Login: 11/11/2011 9:17:29 AM
Talked to my vet about this. She doesnt prescribe glucosamine, ever. I think she said it usually dosent work. I have my mare on adequan. Trying it for a year, to see if I notice any results. She does appear less still the first few weeks after the injection.

Does your horse have an issue that may benefit this? Otherwise its probably waste of $$$, although I know some people use adequan as a preventative measure.  

Best thing to do is call your vet.

Lacys Corona
1998 14.3 APHA
Post #358284
Posted 9/9/2011 9:32:16 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/13/2011 4:19:30 PM
I had a vet prescribe injectable glucosamine for my horse as a preventative measure. She felt that his conformation would predispose him to arthritis in his hocks and hips, and she said that oral glucosamine is not absorbed by the body well at all, but injections work much better.

So, I did the injections once a month for a while, and never had any trouble with infections or anything, as I did the injections properly (have your vet show you how).

HOWEVER, my horse ended up with laminitis the next day after his June injection, and I later found out that my horse was insulin resistant, so should not have glucosamine at all! The injection was likely the "straw that broke the camel's back" at that point in time, pushing him over the edge into laminitis.

Therefore, I would caution anyone with an "easy keeper" -- especially if the horse has a cresty neck or any "fat pads" around the shoulders, tail head, ribs, or anywhere else. Such as horse could very well be IR, and if so, glucosamine in any form should be avoided.
Post #359692
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:04pm