Cannon keratosis

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Health and Grooming » Cannon keratosis Join the Club

Cannon keratosis Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/2/2011 8:10:49 PM
I think Maggie, the horse I am leasing, has cannon keratosis on her hind legs. I've googled it and such and people are saying to use MTG and even some topical drying shampoos. Has anyone ever dealt with this? How did you treat it and what did you use? From what I've read it doesn't sound like it ever goes away, but there is stuff to clear it up pretty well... My trainer said using dawn dish soap might help?

Post #346545
Posted 6/17/2011 8:48:17 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/29/2011 9:19:50 PM
Shampoo with Hibiclense (clorhexadine scrub). Scrub to remove the "crud" and work Hibiclense into a lather. Let it soak in for 10 minutes. Rinse and dry. Then apply a 2% peroxide gel with aloe. (A stronger peroxide without the aloe will cause irritation, so stick to 2% or 3% peroxide and make sure it contains a soothing additive).
Post #346816
Posted 6/19/2011 8:19:10 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

ok thanks. Any suggestions on shampoo or aloe brands?

Post #347043
Posted 6/19/2011 8:46:33 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/29/2011 9:19:50 PM
Hibiclens is the name of the clorhexadine shampoo. hibiclens.com

You'll work it into a lather over the affected area, gently scrubbing off any crud. You have to remove the scurf so that you can get to the organism on the skin.

An important note: I mean benzoyl peroxide (I just wrote peroxide). Benzoyl peroxide is the active ingredient in many acne creams, but be careful not to buy the 10% kind as it will be too drying for your horse's skin. 2% or 3% is what you want. For the benzoyl peroxide - buy it in a cream or gel form, like the human acne creams. You can find one that has aloe or another soothing agent included in the product. Or you can buy an aloe plant and take a cutting from that to use on your horse! Aloe plants come in handy and you sure don't have to have a green thumb to care for one - they thrive on neglect! So you won't have to worry about carefully watering, etc. The aloe is just in case your horse has sort of sensitive skin. Just like with people, some aren't irritated at all by a 3% benzoyl peroxide acne cream, others will get itchy from it.
Post #347047
Posted 6/21/2011 7:37:23 AM

Ohk! Cool! I found some at my local store here in town, so I will pick some up soon. Thanks for your help

Post #347523
Posted 6/25/2011 3:08:56 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 7/25/2013 8:17:24 PM
Hibiclens is extremely expensive when you can get the active ingredient in scrub or shampoo form for much less. Jeffers Equine has Chlorhexidine in shampoo, scrub, and solution form for fairly cheap and its just as effective as Hibiclens. I couldn't imagine buying 4oz of Hibiclens for $6 when you can buy a bottle of concentrated Chlorhexidine (makes a gallon, same product vets use) for $5.

I've had great success scrubing the scabs away with Chlorhexidine (very, very important to remove the scabs), drying well, and applying a mixture of triple antibiotic ointment and anti-fungal cream containing clotrimazole.

Many people (myself including) have had great success treating and prevent skin conditions such as this and rainrot with supplementing with Vitamin A. It is essentail for healthy skin and eyes. A supplement with a great amount of Vitamin A is Farnam's Mare Plus.

Post #348030
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:55pm