eeek!!! Rain rot? PICTURES ADDED!!!

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Health and Grooming » eeek!!! Rain rot? PICTURES ADDED!!! Join the Club

123»»»

eeek!!! Rain rot? PICTURES ADDED!!! Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/13/2013 5:25:57 AM
So I went out to check koda today and I noticed up around his ears and above his eye (right side) he has this like hair plug lookin nasties and when I rubbed it the hair came out and left a bald spot...If it is rain rot I need cheap easy home remedies for it. i can't spend alot of money right now cause I am in trucking school and have no money.

I will get pictures tomorrow and post them.

I know that there are 3 other horses that have it but the owners are like blah i'll get to it later...HELP

“There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse.”
Post #380112
Posted 1/30/2012 4:48:35 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Today @ 7:58:58 PM
Could it be ringworm? Rain rot will have clumpy scabs stuck to the base of the hair, and doesn't usually happen on the head. Rain rot is common along the "weathershield." The back, butt, withers, and occasionally along the crest.

If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same thing.

Post #380123
Posted 1/30/2012 5:30:43 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

He has on a blanket and so far I have not seen anything under the blanket to make me thing ringworm (grew up with lots of cats and farm animals so I know ringworm [8D] although not proud to admit it

It looks like scaly little hair plugs...when I touched the spot he didn't flinch and the hair came out and left dry lookin skin underneath. I'll get pics tomorrow and that might help lol I don't know how else to explain it other than it looks like hairplugs with scales at the end near the skin and it comes right out and leaves dry skin underneath

Post #380137
Posted 1/31/2012 8:49:20 AM

Last Login: 10/1/2012 5:37:17 AM
My first guess is you are seeing the after effects of tick bites.

Ticks don't die off in the winter, like I used to think, they burrow into the ground.  If you've had enough warmth, the ticks are probably on the move.

I pulled a tick off the face of one of my horses last night and we were only in the high 40's yesterday with lots of sunshines.

My second guess is neck threadworms, a/k/a Onchocerca worms.  They aren't really worms but microfiliae caused by the bite of the midge fly.

Treating tick bites requires keeping them clean and putting a 50-50- mix of generic hemerhoid ointment (not cream) and Triple antibiotic ointment.  Those things itch/hurt, thus the hemeroid ointment.

Treating neck threadworms requires dosing a horse with 100% pure Ivermectin.  I can't remember if it's a double dose and I can't remember how many "every two weeks" one has to do that.

So it's important to know what you might be dealing with.

If you can get close enough pull the scabs off, clean the sore so you can see white skin.  Look close to see if there appears to be a hole (I mean that) in the middle of the sore.  If there's a hole, that's where the tick drilled in to feed -- I know that's gross and I'm sorry - lol

Also, tick bites are generally an almost perfect circle unless the horse was rubbing a lot before you saw the sore.

There's no symmetry to sores from onchocerca worms and those sores can almost make you think "ringworm".  They can also often be found under the mane and in the crest of the neck and in the forelock.

Hope this helps[]

Post #380214
Posted 1/31/2012 4:21:11 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/12/2014 3:06:35 PM
Ahh. I sure hope it's not rain rot! Tidy, my 27 year old mare, has had rain rot on and off for the past two and a half years. She gets antibiotics for it but it just won't leave her! The vet said it's harder for older horses to kill off. When Tidy gets it, it's little clumps of fur and this oily yellow clump of skin comes off with it and sometimes there are little open scabs underneath it. Once we see the pictures it will be easier.

Best of luck!

Shorty, Trooper, & Duke <3

It's like screaming and no one can hear.

Post #380257
Posted 1/31/2012 4:53:58 PM

I didn't get pics but his hair is comin out in tufts. the skin under the hair comin off is pink and scaly.

I will get out there tomorrow and get pictures.

Post #380261
Posted 2/1/2012 4:11:20 PM

Can see the hair loss near his ear and around his eye

Does this help any? Like is said it looks like hair plugs lol my poor pony tho

Post #380376
Posted 2/1/2012 4:13:58 PM

I'd like to add that if I touched the hair it would come off. I did after I snapped the photos...

Post #380378
Posted 2/1/2012 4:18:08 PM

Last Login: 2/24/2014 1:58:34 PM
Yes that looks like rain rot i know that is not what you wanted to hear but that is what it looks like... i would call your vet or look up home remedies online our vet if we call him he will try to give us advice all he can because he doesn't want to have to charge us to come see them in case it's nothing serious he will normally say that if it is that way in 2 or 3 days to call back and he would come out..

Post #380379
Posted 2/1/2012 4:23:09 PM

Last Login: 2/24/2014 1:58:34 PM
this is what i use for my horses when they get rain rot or i need their mane or tail to grow... i have to warn you though it smells really bad and it takes a while to get the smell off your hand so i would wear gloves if you can

http://www.shapleys.com/products_list.aspx

Post #380380
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

123»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:45pm