Can a unregistered horse barrel race in the NFR?

HorseChannel.com Message Board
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HorseChannel.com Forums » Western Riding » Can a unregistered horse barrel race in the... Join the Club

Can a unregistered horse barrel race in the... Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/21/2014 6:11:24 PM
I was wondering, Can you ride a unregistered horse at the NFR. Has it ever been done?

Post #486695
Posted 8/29/2013 7:58:22 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:43:44 PM
I don't understand what you mean ... did you sign a horse up to do something and now want to withdraw??
Post #486697
Posted 8/29/2013 8:46:00 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:17:40 PM
I think she wants to know if you can race a horse that isn't registered with a breed association with the NFR?

Cheap Tricks and Cheesy One Liners

Post #486700
Posted 8/29/2013 9:12:16 AM

Advanced Member

OK, might pay to read a little better (my mind is full of dopey legal stuff).    Yea, that makes sense ... Thanks QH. 

I don't think the PRCA (the governing body of the NFR) has any registration rules for horses.  But they would be the ones to contact to ask.

I think the reason you typically see registered QH there are because any  earnings go on their AQHA record which enhances the value of the horse.  But I don't think your horse has to be registered to compete at NFR.  Of course to compete at NFR you have to be in the top 15 of your event for the season.

Post #486701
Posted 8/29/2013 10:59:02 AM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 1/21/2014 6:11:24 PM
[quote]kewpalace (8/29/2013)
OK, might pay to read a little better (my mind is full of dopey legal stuff). Yea, that makes sense ... Thanks QH.

I don't think the PRCA (the governing body of the NFR) has any registration rules for horses. But they would be the ones to contact to ask.

I think the reason you typically see registered QH there are because any earnings go on their AQHA record which enhances the value of the horse. But I don't think your horse has to be registered to compete at NFR. Of course to compete at NFR you have to bein the top 15 of your eventfor the season.[/quote]

Thanks, I was just wondering because you never see them in the NFR.

Post #486703
Posted 8/29/2013 11:15:43 AM

Advanced Member

That could be for a few reasons ...

1 - the people who take horses there are looking to enhance the horses value either as a stud/breeding mare later or to promote the sire's/dam's bloodlines; with unregistered horses this does not matter as you cannot register its offspring and there is no written verification of its parentage

2 - to get to the NFR you have to be at the TOP of your game which requires your horse be in the top tier of the event which means the horse has be ultra trained and THE BEST; as there is no real value to promote or compete on an unregistered horse at this level, those horses usually do not have anywhere near the training/conditioning/or season standings to compete at the NFR

While unregistered horses can compete in many disciplines (such as NRCHA), usually the amount of money and time it takes to campaign a horse in these association is not warranted since the horse's long term value (i.e., as a sire/brood mare) is not enhanced.  People won't waste the $$ in campaigning (which is SUBSTANTIAL at this level) if there's no return on the investment.

Post #486706
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Animal Network Admin, jasper, HC Editor, foreverpony, HCmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:28am